Annapolis Greek Heritage

Preserving the Legacy of Greek-Americans in the Annapolis Area

Loizou: Antigone Piera

Antigone (Piera) Loizou

Antigone Piera Loizou joined the Annapolis Greek-Cypriot community in 1960. Born in Yialousa, Cyprus, this is her story.

Growing Up in Cyprus (1931- 1951)

Antigone Loizou (nee Piera) was born December 12, 1931, in the village of Yialousa on the Island of Cyprus, to Athanasis and Maroulla Piera. Antigone was the sixth and youngest of her siblings: Christina, Kyriacoulla (Koulou), Angeliki, Anna and Michael (Mike). Antigone’s parents were very social and had many friends, so Antigone had six godparents because her parents could not choose between the friends who volunteered.

In 1934, Antigone’s mother passed away at the age of forty. The cause of her mother’s death was never determined although it was believed that she may have been bitten by a poisonous snake or had an allergic reaction to an insect bite. At the age of 2, Antigone was blessed to have four older sisters who all became her surrogate mothers. Since her oldest sister, Christina, was already married, the next oldest sister, Koulou, became the one that shouldered most of the responsibility for raising Antigone.

The love, support and sense of community that Antigone would receive from her family and the broader community of Yialousa were incredible gifts. Antigone would have the good fortune to experience those same gifts throughout her life in the places that she would would call home including London, Toronto, and ultimately Annapolis. Many of the families and friends from Yialousa were the backbone of communities everywhere Antigone would live. One of the most important connections from Yialousa for Antigone began when her sister Koulou married Pantela Pantelides, the brother of Savvas Pantelides (proprietor of the Royal Restaurant in Annapolis). That connection would one day lead to Antigone becoming an Annapolitan.

Woopos Beach, Ayios Therisos, Cyprus

As a child, Antigone learned the importance
of education as she watched her father read
the newspaper to people in his coffee shop.
She liked being informed about the world and listened to BBC radio since Cyprus was still a
British colony at that point. She gained an
appreciation for hard work as she and her
siblings would spend their summer days working
the family farm on the outskirts of Yialousa near
the church of Ayios Therisos. She also learned
to enjoy life’s simple pleasures. After working in
the heat, she and her siblings would spend their
warm summer nights picnicking and swimming on a little stretch of beach near their farm called Woopos beach. These experiences instilled values in Antigone that would last a lifetime.

King Paul (Center – standing with hat), Antigone Piera (Center – kneeling with arms clasped)

The world began to open up for Antigone when her sisters encouraged their father to send Antigone to attend high school in the city of Famagusta about 40 miles from Yialousa. She got her first taste of independence living away from home. Antigone capped off her high school education with her first trip off the island of Cyprus. In 1950, her senior class graduation trip took her to Athens where her entire class had an audience with King Paul of Greece. He treated the entire class to ice cream.

With her love of education and her curiosity about the world, Antigone would take a big step in her life. In 1951, she moved to London so that she could become fluent in English and return to Yialousa to be an English teacher. Of course, this move to London was made knowing that her sister, Anna, and her brother, Mike, along with relatives and plenty of Yialousides (people from Yialousa) were already there. As would happen again in her life, Antigone wasn’t leaving Yialousa, because Yialousa was going with her!

Fabulous Fifties in London (1951 – 1959)

Even with family waiting for her in London, the decision to leave Cyprus meant that Antigone would be leaving the person she adored the most, her father. As usual, he gave her some loving advice that put her at ease and bolstered her courage. He told her to look up, take in the world around her, and greet people before they greeted her. He assured her that a simple “How do you do?” to a stranger would make not only her day better, but theirs as well. She would follow that advice and have her greetings reciprocated often over the years including from a few well-known people.

Today, London is a few hours by plane from Cyprus. In 1951, it was a multiple-day journey that many Cypriots took as a path to a new life. Antigone’s trek began with a departure from the port town of Limassol and a cruise west on the Mediterranean to Marseilles, France. Next, there was a train ride the length of France including an overnight stopover in Paris. The only thing that Antigone saw of Paris was the Eiffel Tower from the small window of her hotel room. She would return to the City of Lights about 50 years later. On that trip, she would get to see Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower. The train tracks ended at the French coast on the English Channel where a ferry would carry her to England. By the end of the trip, something had bitten Antigone – it was the “travel bug”. This would be the first of many adventures for her.

Antigone lived with her sister, Anna, and Anna’s husband John Christodoulou in a “flat” at 79 Gower Street in London’s theatre district. Aside from living with her sister, Antigone was reconnected with aunts, uncles, and cousins who had emigrated to London over the years. By the 1950’s, London had grown to have the largest population of Cypriots outside of Cyprus which is still the case today. Also, Antigone’s brother, Mike, was living and working in Maidenhead, England about an hour by train outside of London. This would not be the last time the three youngest Piera siblings (Anna, Mike and Antigone) would live in the same place. They were destined to be reunited again when they would become Annapolitans.

Life in this “new version” of Yialousa embedded within all that London had to offer was truly the best of both worlds. Antigone had the stability of living with one of her sisters, a connection to aunts and uncles who kept her grounded to her family history, and cousins of her age who exposed her to their friends and big city life. Her father’s brother, John (also known as Lillitos), owned a restaurant that served as a meeting place for Yialousides. It even served as a temporary home for new arrivals from Cyprus who needed a place to stay. These new arrivals would sleep on the restaurant tables after closing each night. The restaurant, “The Beautiful Cyprus Restaurant”, was located in the Soho district of London. During her years in London, Antigone would cross paths with Cypriots who would eventually become Annapolitans. Those Cypriots included: George and Angela Nikiforou; Sotirios (aka Chris or Sotos) and Maroulla Christoforou; Irene Kacoyianni (who would marry Paul Sophocles); John and Irene Kacoyianni; Neophotis and Kyriacoula Kacoyianni; John and Maritsa Kyriacou and others.

Left-to-Right: Antigone Piera, Mary Christodoulou. Trafalgar Square, London, 1956

An added benefit of living in London’s theatre district was that the downstairs neighbor in her building was a costume maker for theatrical productions. This neighbor had access to free tickets for shows at some of London’s best theatres. Antigone took full advantage of her neighbor’s generosity and saw many of the most popular plays and ballets of that time. Life was great!

Antigone was able to find work that she enjoyed as a salesperson in one of London’s larger department stores, John Lewis Department Store, on Oxford Street. The job provided her with the ability to practice her English in the hopes of returning to Cyprus as an English teacher. It also provided her with yet another social outlet as she became fast friends with many of the young women and men working alongside of her. Later in the 1950’s, Antigone would join one of those “work friends” to go on her first international vacation. They would travel to Brussels, Belgium for the 1958 World’s Fair. During their trip, they travelled through parts of Belgium by hitch-hiking. She would leave out that detail when she returned to her sister’s flat in London. Life was fun!

Antigone was fully embracing her new life and felt so fortunate to be experiencing so much of what London had to offer. Her openness to all these new experiences was rooted in that simple piece of advice that her dear father had given her before she left Cyprus. She followed that advice to a fault and was the beneficiary of so many enriching experiences in return and a few pleasant surprises. During her time in London, she would “bump into” playwright George Bernard Shaw and Winston Churchill on the streets of London. In each case, she would be the first to greet them. Both gentlemen would return the greeting. In the case of Mr. Churchill, he would also flash the “V for Victory” sign that became his trademark during World War II. A few years later, Antigone met Harold Macmillan, England’s Prime Minister from 1957 to 1963.  Mr. Macmillan came in to the department store where she worked by himself with no security detail. Antigone greeted him first. He said that he was looking to buy a gift for his wife and asked her for some help picking out something nice. Life was so interesting!

In 1954, Antigone’s father passed away back in Cyprus. That same year, his mother, Kacoula, died at the grand old age of 105 years old. In 1956, Antigone returned to Yialousa to fulfill her ambition of becoming an English teacher. It was an unsettling time in Cyprus as uprisings against the British were commonplace. There was momentum building that would ultimately lead to Cyprus’ independence from the United Kingdom in 1960. After being back in Cyprus for less than a year, Antigone heard the bell ringing of London’s Big Ben clock tower on BBC radio. She realized that while Yialousa would always be her home, she wanted to return to the life that she had come to appreciate in London.

There were Yialousides living in London long before Antigone’s time in London. One such person was a young man from Yialousa who emigrated to London in the 1920’s. His name was Joannis (John) Loizou. Joannis’ father, Loizos, was the best friend of Antigone’s maternal grandfather, Michael, years earlier back in Yialousa. Upon Joannis’ arrival in London, he spent time as a “guest” of Antigone’s uncle, John (Lillitos), at the “The Beautiful Cyprus Restaurant” until he could find a place to live. That restaurant was located right across the street from a British family by the name of Bergen. One of the Bergen daughters, Winifred, would marry Joannis. They would have a son named Louis Loizou.

The courtship between Antigone and Louis Loizou occurred in two chapters. The first chapter occurred during 1953. Heeding his father’s advice, Louis was intent on marrying a girl from Yialousa. Antigone was intent on enjoying life in London and was not interested in getting married too soon. So, Louis headed
off to Toronto, Canada with his cousin, Nick Loizou, to seek work and a new life. The second chapter occurred when Louis returned to England to convalesce after a motorcycle accident. Things were different now. Antigone and Louis were married in April 1959. The young couple would take more than a honeymoon. They would board the Empress of France steamship from Liverpool and set sail for a new life in Toronto, Canada.

A Taste of Toronto (1959 – 1960)

On the other end of their ocean voyage, Antigone and Louis would find his cousin, Nick (a Yialousa native), and a new life waiting for them. Antigone immediately liked Toronto. It was a newer and cleaner version of London. After almost ten years in London, Antigone was used to big city living and liked it. Antigone’s life in Toronto was very similar to her years in London. She was able to find work as a salesperson in another large department store just as she had in London. This time, the department store was Eaton’s which to this day is still one of Toronto’s largest stores. Antigone and Louis lived in a two flat with a friendly neighbor lady downstairs. There were also new places to explore like a small town on the other side of the Canada/USA border named Annapolis, Maryland.

Waiting for the young couple in Annapolis was Antigone’s brother, Mike Piera. Mike had left England in 1953 at the behest of Savvas Pantelides. By 1959, Mike had worked very hard and managed to buy his own small restaurant on the South River just outside of Annapolis. It would become Mike’s Restaurant. Mike had left England with only $8 in his pocket. Mike’s early years in Annapolis were not easy. At one point, Mike approached Savvas Pantelides for money so that he could return to England. Savvas would not give him the money in the hopes that he would stay. Mike stayed. That decision would greatly affect Mike’s life and the lives of his two sisters, Anna and Antigone.

Antigone and Louis made the drive down to Annapolis to visit Mike for the first time in 1959. Antigone had not seen her brother in six years. She brought greetings from their sister, Anna, and their many relatives in London. While she was very happy to see her brother, it was Louis who became enamored with Annapolis. The idea of family and the strong sense of community amongst the Cypriots appealed to Louis. Also, Louis saw the potential for fulfilling his dream of starting his own upholstery business. By that time. Louis was a well-trained upholsterer thanks to a multi-year apprenticeship he had served in London. He had mastered the art of making custom furniture, cut and sewn draperies for some of London’s live theatres, and re-upholstered state rooms on ocean liners. Louis had even been selected as a part of a group of upholsterers who did work on Queen’s Elizabeth’s furnishings at Windsor Castle. In Louis’s mind, Annapolis was a place where he could work his trade and make a name for himself.

Within months, Louis convinced Antigone that the place they ought to be was Annapolis. By now, Antigone had enjoyed living in two big cities so it took a little convincing before she agreed to the move. By early 1960, they were on a train from Toronto to Baltimore and looking forward to their life in Annapolis. They also had something else to look forward to. Antigone was expecting their first child.

Antigone and Louis Loizou
South River – 1959
Background: “Old” South River Bridge (wooden)
and Paul’s Restaurant

Annapolis – The Early Years (1960 – 1968)

Antigone and Louis arrived in Annapolis on February 22, 1960. It was George Washington’s birthday, now celebrated as Presidents’ Day. They took up residence in the upstairs apartment above her brother Mike’s restaurant. This would be the first of many times that Mike would open his home to relatives and other Yialousides until they could find a place of their own. Antigone began setting up their household and preparing for the birth of their first child, Joanna, who was due in late May.

Antigone and Louis were welcomed into the Annapolis Greek Cypriot community and more broadly into the Greek community which was centered around Ss. Constantine and Helen church. The social hub for the Greek Cypriot community had been well established at the Royal Restaurant on West Street with Savvas and Magdalene (Margie) Pantelides extending warm welcomes to all new arrivals. As Antigone and Louis frequented the Royal Restaurant, they met Annapolitans who they would then see elsewhere. Since these locals knew that Antigone and Louis had recently arrived from Canada and that they spent time at the Royal Restaurant, the new couple in town became known as the “Royal Canadians”. Always remembering her dear father’s advice, Antigone would routinely greet people without hesitation. On one such occasion, she was at the Royal Restaurant when she noticed that everyone was greeting a tall, young man with a crewcut hairstyle. So naturally, Antigone went over to introduce herself. Upon completing her introduction, she asked the young man’s name and occupation. He replied, “My name is John Unitas and I play football”.

Once again, Antigone’s birthplace village, Yialousa, had followed her to yet another of her life’s destinations. The sense of community engendered by her brother, Savvas and Magdalene Pantelides, Nick and Erefille Pantelides, Paul and Helen Nicholas, Elias (Louie) and Demetra Keshes, and others made life in this new place seem quite familiar. The broader Greek community was also very welcoming. Antigone received a visit from a member of the Ladies’ Philoptochos Society, Pauline Leanos. Inspired by Pauline, Antigone would become a member of that organization and return the kindness by serving on the Philoptochos Welcoming Committee for many years to follow. Louis quickly gained a reputation as a skilled upholsterer and with the help of one his early customers opened up an upholstery shop on Calvert Street just off of West Street in downtown Annapolis. Louis used his upholstery skills to make seat cushions for the wooden pews at Ss. Constantine and Helen. He received thanks from more than a few parishioners on behalf of their backs.

The 1960’s was period of growth for Antigone and Louis in terms of family, business, and connection to their new community. In terms of family, they would welcome their three children, Joanna, Constantinos (Dean), and Winifred (Winnie). Antigone’s brother, Mike, would marry. He and his wife, Kathe (Katina) would welcome four sons – Athos, John, Tony, and Peter. In 1963, their sister, Anna, her husband, John, and their children, Mary and Chris, would move from London to Annapolis. The three youngest siblings of the Piera family, (Anna, Mike and Antigone) were reunited again and living within a mile of each other halfway around the world from their birthplace.

(Left to Right) Back Row: George & Angela Nikiforou, Anna & John Christodoulou, Antigone Loizou, Mike & Kathe Piera. Middle Row: Athos Piera,
Mary Christodoulou (holding Winnie Loizou), Dean Loizou. Front Row:
Chris Christodoulou, Chuck C. (Chris’s friend), Helen Nikiforou, Joanna Loizou.
Fall 1966.

Antigone and Louis would purchase a house at 162 West Street with a side lot on which they built an upholstery shop. The location on the main thoroughfare in Annapolis greatly improved Louis’s business. Antigone and Louis enjoyed being close to her brother and sister and all the family support that came with that. Additionally, the Cypriot community continued to welcome more arrivals that traced back to the village of Yialousa. By the mid-1960’s, a “new Yialousa” was thriving in Annapolis and there was an abundance of celebrations shared by these transplanted Yialousides with the entire community usually being invited to weddings, baptisms, holiday parties, etc.

A New Chapter and a Trip Home (1968 – 1978)

With three young children, Antigone and Louis needed more space for their growing family. In 1968, they purchased a house in Admiral Heights at 1608 Cedar Park Road. This house would be home to Antigone, her children and grandchildren for the next forty-six years. Antigone and Louis would divorce shortly after the move. This would mark the beginning of a new chapter for Antigone and her children.

Antigone leveraged her department store and retail sales experience from London and Toronto to go back to work. She first worked at “The Leader”, a boutique clothing store on Main Street in Annapolis. Following her years at “The Leader”, Antigone would work in the country store connected to her brother Mike’s restaurant. It was during her time working for her brother that Antigone worked alongside Sotirios (aka Chris or Sotos) and Maroulla Christoforou who would go on to become proprietors of Chris’s Charcoal Pit on West Street in Annapolis. Antigone and the Christoforou’s developed a close relationship which still means so much to Antigone. Although Sotos passed away much too young in 2019, Antigone still remains close to her dear friend, Maroulla.

By 1974, it had been almost twenty years since Antigone or her sister, Anna, had been back to Cyprus. They longed to see their older sisters (Christina, Koulou and Angeliki) and they wanted to share the beauty of the island with their children. In June, they departed first to London to visit relatives and within a week were back on the island of their birth. It was a joyous homecoming. First, they visited their sister, Angeliki, and her family in the port city of Famagusta. Then, Antigone and Anna took their children “home” to Yialousa. For the next three weeks, they spent time with their sisters and extended family. There were lovely days spent at the beaches of their childhood, large gatherings with family, and of course, wonderful meals. In addition, Antigone and Anna shared the island’s history and places of interest with their children. There was even a day trip on a chartered bus with thirty or so relatives to see Kykkos Monastery in the mountains. After three carefree weeks, things changed.

On July 15, 1974, a coup d’etat was ordered by the military Junta in Greece and staged by the Cypriot National Guard. It deposed Cypriot president Archbishop Makarios III. The aim of the coup was the union (enosis) of Cyprus with Greece. On July 20, Turkish forces invaded and captured 3% of the island before a ceasefire was declared. The Greek military junta collapsed and was replaced by a democratic government. In August 1974 another Turkish invasion resulted in the capture of approximately 37% of the island.

From Yialousa, fires from distant bombings could be seen at night while nationalistic music was played on the radio stations. Within days, Antigone, Anna and their children were offered evacuation from the island by the British government. After reluctantly saying their goodbyes, they were transported on a British military paratrooper plane back to England. After a few days of processing at a military base in England, they were back home in Annapolis.

Evening Capital Article – August 1974

There were many losses incurred that caused grief and loss in the days and years after this journey. As with all Cypriots, the Piera / Loizou / Christodoulou families dealt with deaths, loss of family homes (since they were in the northern part of Cyprus claimed by Turkey), and the loss of their village. One of the family’s most profound losses was the disappearance and death of their sister Christina’s son-in-law, Christakis (Taki) Kosma. He had been a police officer in Yialousa. Weeks after the invasion, Turkish military arrived in Yialousa and demanded the names of Greek Nationals who lived in the village. Taki refused to divulge the information and was taken prisoner. He was never seen again. His remains were identified years later. The Annapolis Cypriot community consoled each other as they all suffered losses for years to follow.

The incredible grief experienced by Antigone and Anna was softened by the knowledge that they had given their children an amazing gift. Their children had gotten to see their mothers’ beautiful village before it was changed forever. Their children had enjoyed swimming in the same beaches that they had enjoyed as children. Their children had spent time in the homes of their aunts and uncles and met many of their cousins for the first time. Their children remain eternally grateful for all of those gifts and memories.

New Fledglings & Spreading Wings (1978 – 1990)

As the 1970’s were drawing to a close, Antigone remained active in Ss. Constantine & Helen’s Ladies’ Philoptochos Society and encouraged her children to participate in church activities as well. While serving on the board of the Annapolis Ladies’ Philoptochos Society, Antigone was chosen to represent
Ss. Constantine & Helen at a conference in New York City in 1976. The short plane ride turned into more than she bargained for when a snowstorm caused her flight to be diverted to Albany, New York. From there, a bus was used to transport the plane’s passengers back down to New York City. Undaunted as usual, Antigone took the adventure in stride and came home with stories of what a fun trip it had been. Antigone also encouraged and supported her children’s participation in the church’s Junior G.O.Y.A. (Greek Orthodox Youth Organization).

Beginning in 1978 and until 1984, Antigone’s children graduated high school and moved on to the next phases of their lives. This freed up both space and time for Antigone. After years of working at the Leader and Mike’s Country Store, she opted to open a small daycare service in her home. In the ensuing years, she would get incredible fulfillment by taking care of numerous toddlers from Admiral Heights until they were ready to head off to grade school. Also, she would use the opportunity to travel more. She would travel to Hawaii with her sister Anna, take cruises with friends and relatives to the Caribbean, as well as take trips to England, Italy, Spain, and Morocco. If she was travelling alone, Antigone would choose a tour package and make new friends.

Little People & More Travel (1990 – 2006)

Starting in 1990, Antigone began to be blessed with grandchildren. By 1999, she had five “little people” (Andrea, Conor, Adam, Madeline and Hannah) in her life. As their Yiayia, she was thrilled to be able to take care of them. Sleepovers at Yiayia’s house on Saturday night usually meant that Yiayia took them to church on Sunday. What a treat for both Yiayia and the grandchildren, and most likely their parents as well.

(Left-to-Right) Back Row: Andrea Smith, Antigone Loizou, Anna Christodoulou. Front Row: Hannah Mitchell, Madeline Mitchell, Nicole Christodoulou, Matthew Christodoulou, Adam Smith, and Conor Mitchell
Outer Banks, North Carolina – 2004

Antigone continued to enjoy travel. She would return to Cyprus two more times in 2000 and 2006 with her son, Dean. Those trips would include time spent in Paris (2000) and Athens (2006). The trip in 2000 was prompted by her 50th High School reunion which was held in Nicosia since Famagusta remains under Turkish occupation. Antigone received the award for travelling the furthest to attend the event. The trips were very important to Antigone as they were the last opportunities to see her aging sisters. Her oldest sister, Christina, passed away not long after the visit in 2000. Her sisters, Koulou and Angeliki, passed away not long after the visit in 2006.

(Left-to-Right) Front Row: Christina (Oldest sister), Angeliki (3rd oldest Sister); Back Row: Christina (Christina’s grandaughter), Antigone, Gaeti (Christina’s daughter), Fofo and Maroulla (Angeliki’s daughters) – June 2000

A group of women posing for a photo

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

(Left-to-Right) Antigone, Koulou (2nd oldest sister),
Maroulla (Koulou’s daughter) – December 2006

There were other trips during this period. In 2001, Antigone and her friend, Maureen Wright, took a driving tour of Ireland. While Maureen was courageous to do all of the driving on the narrow roads of the Emerald Isle, Antigone still maintains that it took a lot of bravery to sit in the passenger seat on that trip. In 2005, Antigone fulfilled a long-held desire to see the Canadian Rockies. She boarded the Rocky Mountaineer train line in Vancouver and rode it to Calgary taking in all of the sights along the way.

Less Work, More Walking (2006 – 2014)

In 2006, Antigone decided it was time to be a “retiree”. The time had come to bring to an end her years of taking care of children in her home. She celebrated her 75th birthday in Athens while on the trip to Cyprus that year. With more time for the simple pleasures in life, Antigone began to walk regularly. Aside from walking through her neighborhood and the path encircling nearby Navy-Marine Corps Stadium, she would visit her sister, Anna, who still lived only a mile away. Another simple pleasure that she took up was the joy of reading. Antigone began to read books on a continual basis, a habit that she continues to enjoy. Her favorite genre being history, Antigone likes nothing more than reading about historical figures and their impact on the world from ancient times to present day. Her traveling days weren’t over yet either. In 2011, she celebrated her 80th birthday with a trip to New York city to see the Rockettes Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall, a Broadway show, Central Park, Ellis Island and several of the museums.

In 2010, Antigone’s brother Mike passed away. In her brother, she had someone who had helped through the most difficult periods of her life as well as someone with whom she could share a good laugh. Undoubtedly one of the most important persons in her life, Mike was someone who she not only deeply loved, but admired for all that he had done to help others and that he had accomplished in his life.

Left-to-Right: Irene Panayi (Niece), Antigone Loizou, Anna Christodoulou, Kathe Piera, Mike Piera

A New Home (2014 – Present)

In 2014, after forty-six years of raising her children, caring for grandchildren, and a ton of memories, Antigone sold her home in Admiral Heights and moved into the Ginger Cove retirement community on the outskirts of Annapolis. Many of the things that she enjoyed in life were waiting for her there. There is a walking path that encircles the entire Ginger Cove campus which provides her ample opportunity to continue her daily walks. A book club that meets regularly creates the perfect forum to share her love of reading. Outings to local symphony and theatre productions provide her with much pleasure and take her back to her days of frequenting London’s theatres. And while the trips are shorter, Ginger Cove excursions to Baltimore and Washington, DC let her experience places that are still new to her.

In 2020, Antigone’s last remaining sibling, Anna, passed away at ninety-eight years old. Anna was the person with whom Antigone had spent the most time with in her life. From their days growing up in Yialousa, to their years living together in London, and finally their lives in Annapolis, Anna and Antigone shared a special bond. In her later years, Anna’s eyesight began to fail which made it difficult for her to dial the telephone. Antigone was the number one speed dial on Anna’s phone.

Left-to-Right: Anna Christodoulou, Antigone Loizou Easter 2014

One Sunday, shortly after moving into Ginger Cove in 2014, Antigone decided to make the mile-long walk from her apartment to Ss. Constantine and Helen church on Riva Road. The terrain and nicely groomed
sidewalks on that walk are certainly different than the dirt road and rolling hills of Yialousa. However, it brought Antigone back full-circle to the walk that she used to make from her childhood home to the Church of Archangel Michael in Yialousa. She always has a piece of Yialousa with her no matter where she goes.

Church of Archangel Michael – Yialousa, Cyprus